Kathleen B. Campbell
TEL: (484) 430-2316
Kate Campbell, a partner at Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox LLP, focuses her practice on environmental, toxic tort, and class action litigation, as well as on regulatory compliance matters particularly involving federal, state, and interstate water pollution issues. She has represented industrial and commercial entities, as well as closely held companies, in a variety of complex environmental litigation matters including the following:
- defense of a former specialty metals manufacturer in a federal action seeking damages in excess of $15 million for alleged property damage and diminution in property value from airborne emissions associated with manufacturing activities;
- defense of multiple class actions filed in state and federal court seeking medical monitoring from exposure to airborne emissions from manufacturing activities;
- defense of an operator of a landfill against a class action filed in state court seeking damages for nuisance and diminution of property value as a result of landfill operations;
- representation of a school district in a private cost-recovery litigation in connection with an oil spill at an elementary school, resulting in investigation and remediation costs in excess of $1 million;
- defense of a national railroad in a $9 million civil penalty action arising out of a derailment and resulting release of sodium hydroxide into soil, surface water, and groundwater;
- defense of a public utility against a class action filed in state court seeking environmental testing, remediation, and medical monitoring of over 12,000 residences for an alleged "threatened release" of mercury during the removal of gas pressure regulators;
- representation of a national retail pharmacy chain in a cost recovery action to recover in excess of $1 million in investigation and remedial costs associated with leaking underground storage tanks;
- defense of a national telecommunications company in cost-recovery litigation under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act ("CERCLA") and the New Jersey Spill Act with approximately $175 million in alleged past and future costs;
- defense of a specialty chemicals company in a CERCLA cost recovery action brought by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, resulting in the dismissal of the federal government’s claims with prejudice (United States v. Rohm and Haas, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 99585 (D.N.J. Sept. 22, 2010)); and
- defense of a specialty metals manufacturer as appellate counsel in a CERCLA private cost recovery action, resulting in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit vacating a $13 million verdict entered in favor of the plaintiffs by the trial court (Agere Systems, Inc. v. Advanced Environmental Technology Corp., 602 F.3d 204 (3d Cir. 2010)).
Kate has also been involved for many years in activities involving Total Maximum Daily Loads ("TMDLs") for toxic pollutants, advocating on behalf of individual clients and a regional coalition of industrial and municipal dischargers. She has considerable experience in understanding the TMDL regulatory program, and the contours of TMDL litigation at the federal and state levels.
Kate teaches Toxic Torts as an adjunct professor at Drexel University’s Earle Mack School of Law. She has been listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers magazine as a "Rising Star" in environmental law since 2010.
Kate was a member of the honors program at Villanova University, where she earned her undergraduate degree in political science. At the University of Pennsylvania Law School, she served as a senior editor for the Law Review and taught legal writing to first-year law students.
Kate was a summer associate with the firm in 2001, and currently runs the firm's summer program. She was recently appointed to serve on the Haverford Township Environmental Advisory Committee.
- University of Pennsylvania School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- Villanova University, B.A. (political science), cum laude, Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society, 2000
- Bar admissions in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, District of New Jersey
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the District of New Jersey
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals of Greater Philadelphia
|Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Receive Professional Recognition|
|Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP, Supports the 2012 Environmental Law Forum|
|Litigation Counsel of America Spotlights Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP|
|Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP, Supports the 2012 Environmental Law Forum - March 28-29 in Harrisburg, PA|
|Kate Campbell, Partner at Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP, Presents "CERCLA Private Cost Recovery: How Courts are Directing Traffic Five Years after Atlantic Research"|
|Suzanne Ilene Schiller and Kate Campbell, Partners of Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP, Present Medical Monitoring & Toxic Tort Claims: Preparing for the Future in a Post-Dukes Environment|
|Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Receive Professional Recognition - Eleven Included in Super Lawyers, Four Listed as Rising Stars - Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox LLP, An Environmental and Energy Law Practice|